Matt will eat just about anything that has to do with bratwursts, even sauerkraut, which he normally wont touch. I, on the other hand, love it. Declan’s little taste buds are still so fresh that sauerkraut is overpowering for him and he can’t eat it fresh. We were eager to try this recipe because it had a couple things we all enjoyed.
The first attempt I left in our cantankerous crock pot for too long – it burnt.
The second attempt was just off.
The third attempt was a double batch and there wasn’t room for the potatoes, so it was off as well.
Finally on our fourth attempt it turned out really good – we all agreed.
While I’m not sure it’s the greatest meal nutritionally, it’s good comfort food. Especially for those of us who love sauerkraut and bratwurst. It’s a nice blend of tangy and sweet. I add mustard to mine. 😀
Crock o’ Brats
- 5 bratwurst links
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (14.5oz) sauerkraut or 1 bag (32oz) fresh sauerkraut from the deli case
- 1 Medium green apple, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2c packed brown sugar
- 2 pinches coarse sea salt
- In a medium saucepan, boil bratwurst for 5 – 8 minutes until mostly done. Slice into 1/2 inch pieces
- Meanwhile, combine all of the remaining ingredients in a 5 qt crock pot. Stir in bratwurst slices.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until potatoes and apples are tender.
*I don’t recommend doubling this unless you have a super large crockpot. I can’t fit a double batch in our normal sized crock.